Get Ready for the Big Game with these Party Tricks Nachos
Whether you’re looking for the perfect game day recipe or a new party appetizer, these Barbacoa Nachos are sure to be devoured in the blink of an eye! With tender, flavorful beef barbacoa and a homemade nacho cheese sauce, you’ll definitely be able to taste the fruit-forward notes of our AleSmith Party Tricks IPA. So, grab a few cans of San Diego’s favorite IPA & let’s get cooking!
Yield: 8 Servings | Prep Time: 30 Mins | Cook Time: 30 Min | Inactive Time: 4 Hours Ingredients for the Beef Barbacoa
Ingredients for the Beef Barbacoa:
- 3.5 lb. beef chuck roast
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 chipotle chilies in adobo + 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can of AleSmith Party Tricks IPA
- ½ cup beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
Instructions for the Beef Barbacoa:
- Allow the chuck roast to reach room temperature, then pat dry with paper towels
- Use a sharp knife to remove any pieces of fat, then cut the roast into six portions
- Season each piece evenly with pepper and salt
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large heavy bottom pan and add three pieces of the seasoned chuck roast to the pan. Sear each side over medium heat until brown. Remove and repeat with the other three pieces.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the pan with the diced onions
- Sauté until translucent, about five minutes over medium heat. Add to the slow cooker with the browned pieces of the chuck roast.
- Next, add the chilis and adobo, garlic, and spices. Then, pour in the whole Party Tricks can, beef broth and add the bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- Cover and allow to cook for 4 hours on high or 10 hours on low heat.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred. Discard of the bay leaves and keep ½ cup of the liquid, then blend the rest. Place the shredded beef back in the slow cooker with juices, then stir in the lime juice. Cook for another 20 minutes or set to warm.
- Remove the shredded barbacoa and place in a bowl. Add ¼ cup (or more if desired) of the blended au jus to the beef barbacoa. Stir to combine.
Ingredients for the Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, lukewarm
- 1/2 cup of AleSmith Party Tricks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup of Mexican cheese, shredded
Instructions for the Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- Melt the butter over medium heat, then slowly whisk in the flour
- Once incorporated, reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the milk. Work slowly and don’t pour in more milk until combined and the sauce has thickened.
- Once all the milk is added and the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, whisk in the beer.
- Whisk in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika
- Then add the cheese, about a quarter cup at a time, whisking continuously to combine
- Once combined, remove from heat and continue to whisk. Serve immediately for best results.
Instructions for the Nachos:
- Add 2 ½ cups of the tortilla chips to a 9” x 13” baking dish
- Layer with the beer cheese sauce (measure with your heart), then add a layer of the beef barbacoa
- Add the remainder of the chips and another layer of cheese & beef barbacoa
- Then, add your toppings!
- Serve and enjoy.